Thursday, August 14, 2008

Introduction -- Part III

The format of these will probably change a little day-by-day until I figure out how to do this in the most helpful way.

I use a parallel Bible that has the NKJ and the NLT (2nd edition) together. Some of my comments refer to specific wording found in the NLT that may not as clearly seen in the NKJ or NIV. So if something doesn't seem at first to match, you may have to just dig a little deeper.

I have decided to begin to mark things with four different color pens...
  • Black -- General insights the Lord shows me as I read.
  • Blue -- Specific things I need to do.
  • Red -- Things I need to be thankful for.
  • Green -- Prayers I need to pray.
I will list each day the notes that I write in the margin of my Bible (you can do this with a notebook if you don't have a very wide margin Bible), and I will indicate with colors the category my remarks fall into.

My suggestion is that you begin by praying and asking God to give you clear insight into what you are about to read, then begin reading and marking. Once you complete the same section of Scripture that I have done and have recorded your own thoughts, then read the remarks that I have recorded to see if those help you have a greater understanding. (Don't read my remarks first. If you do, it will short circuit the process of discovery that God wants to take you through.) Once you have done this for a few weeks, you will excel at hearing the Lord speak through His Word (which, sadly, is something most Christians never learn)!

Pastor Noel

No comments: