Monday, August 25, 2008

1 Corinthians 13 -- Monday, 8/25

Keep me in your prayers today... I have a 6:00 a.m. surgery and a 7:00 p.m. funeral and a non-stop day in between...

Have you first read all three parts of the introduction to this blog?

Here is a guide to the meaning of the colors I use...
  • Black -- General insights the Lord shows me as I read.
  • Blue -- Specific things I need to do.
  • Red -- Things I need to be thankful for.
  • Green -- Prayers I need to pray.
Let's get started...

Today, read 1 Corinthians 13 on your own at least one time. As you read, make notes in a notebook or in the margins of your Bible. Record all of the insights God gives you. Don't read my remarks until you have first done this yourself.

Here are the insights I wrote down along with the verses they go with...

-----

13:1 (NKJ) Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.

Lord, please don't let me become a sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. You have called me to speak and to teach and I should always be committed to that, but above all I should love and show love to others.

-----

13:1-3 (NLT) If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing. 3 If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing.

Loving people is more important than speaking well. Loving people is more important than having much knowledge. Loving people is more important than having great faith. Loving people is more important than sacrifice.

-----

13:7 (NLT) Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

Thank you Lord that you have loved me with this kind of love.

-----

13:7 (NKJ) bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

I need to love people regardless of their actions. I need to have a god-like love even for those who disappoint me and those who may hurt me.

-----

13:8 (NLT) Prophecy and speaking in unknown languages and special knowledge will become useless. But love will last forever!

Love is always helpful, always appropriate, always right.

-----

Don't forget to spend time in prayer... CHAT...

Pastor Noel

No comments: