Friday, August 15, 2008

1 Corinthians 2-3 -- Friday, 8/15

Have you first read all three parts of the introduction to this blog?

Let's get started...

Yesterday I did just one chapter of 1 Corinthians. Today I have done two. Some will ask the question... "How much should I read each day?"

It doesn't hurt to have a designated amount of reading you are committed to, but I usually just read until I'm full. Some sections of Scripture will have much more to say to me at certain times of my life than others. So I'll slow down in those sections. Some sections will be lighter and I can speed up.

Yesterday, I felt there was a great deal that God had to say to me about 1 Corinthians 1. Today, not so much in 1 Corinthians 2, so I went on the 1 Corinthians 3. It is really just a feel that you develop over time.

Today, read 1 Corinthians 2-3 on your own at least one time. As you read, make notes in a notebook or in the margins of your Bible. Record all of the insights God gives you. Don't read my remarks until you have first done this yourself.

Here are the insights I wrote down along with the verses they go with...

-----

2:2 (NKJ) For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.

The main point of preaching is to exalt Christ and herald His crucifixion.

-----

2:4 (NLT) And my message and my preaching were very plain. Rather than using clever and persuasive speeches, I relied only on the power of the Holy Spirit.

Lord, may this always describe my preaching ministry. Show me where I stray from this standard.

-----

2:4-5 (NKJ) And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.

Conviction comes not through the persuasive words of the preacher but through the power of the Holy Spirit.

-----

2:10 (NKJ) But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God.

2:12 (NKJ) Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.

It is the Spirit of God who teaches us the mysteries of the faith.

-----

2:14 (NKJ) But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

A solid walk with God is essential to really understanding Scripture. It is not only an academic pursuit, but a spiritual pursuit.

-----

3:3 (NKJ) for you are still carnal. For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like mere men?

What is the sign of a carnal person? Envy, strife, divisions.

-----

3:8 (NKJ) Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor.

Everyone has a different role in the Kingdom.

-----

3:13 (NLT) But on the judgment day, fire will reveal what kind of work each builder has done. The fire will show if a person’s work has any value.

I must be very careful that the service I do is with the right motive, has the right foundation, and is done in a biblical manner.

-----

3:16 (NKJ) Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?

Thank you Lord that you have given me the Holy Spirit to be my constant companion, to teach me the mysteries of God and to convict me of sin.

-----

3:23 (NLT) and you belong to Christ, and Christ belongs to God.

Thank you Lord that I am a part of the family of God.

-----

Don't forget to spend time in prayer... CHAT...

Pastor Noel

No comments: