Saturday, August 16, 2008

1 Corinthians 4 -- Saturday, 8/16

Have you first read all three parts of the introduction to this blog?

By the way, sometimes there are blue comments (remember blue indicates a prayer that I feel prompted to pray as a result of something I read in Scripture) that are very personal and omit them from this public blog. There is one in today's posting. When I come to those, I will list the Scripture and then just record 'personal note'. Perhaps me including the verse will prompt you to look more closely to see if there is a 'personal note' that you need to make in your journal.

Let's get started...

Today, read 1 Corinthians 4 on your own at least one time. As you read, make notes in a notebook or in the margins of your Bible. Record all of the insights God gives you. Don't read my remarks until you have first done this yourself.

Here are the insights I wrote down along with the verses they go with...

-----

4:1 (NLT) So look at Apollos and me as mere servants of Christ who have been put in charge of explaining God’s mysteries.

Personal Note.

-----

4:3-4 (NLT) As for me, it matters very little how I might be evaluated by you or by any human authority. I don’t even trust my own judgment on this point. My conscience is clear, but that doesn’t prove I’m right. It is the Lord himself who will examine me and decide.

No servant should feel good or bad about his service based on what others say or even his or her own evaluation. We should look for approval only from God.

-----

4:5 (NLT) So don’t make judgments about anyone ahead of time—before the Lord returns. For he will bring our darkest secrets to light and will reveal our private motives. Then God will give to each one whatever praise is due.

All of our true motives for serving God will be revealed.

-----

4:6 (NLT) Dear brothers and sisters, I have used Apollos and myself to illustrate what I’ve been saying. If you pay attention to what I have quoted from the Scriptures, you won’t be proud of one of your leaders at the expense of another.

Lord, help the leaders of our church to always be unified and as leaders, help us to lead as one.

-----

4:7 (NLT) For what gives you the right to make such a judgment? What do you have that God hasn’t given you? And if everything you have is from God, why boast as though it were not a gift?

Lord, thank you for all you have given... opportunities to serve, resources, skills, gifts, desires. I can't boast about any of these things because they all come from you!

-----

4:10a (NLT) Our dedication to Christ makes us look like fools...

Lord, remind me that sometimes serving you means humbling myself and letting others think poorly of me.

-----

4:12b-13 (NLT) ... We bless those who curse us. We are patient with those who abuse us. We appeal gently when evil things are said about us. Yet we are treated like the world’s garbage, like everybody’s trash—right up to the present moment.

I need to learn to be patient and humble when mistreated or spoken of in an evil manner. I need to remember that it is not all about me.

-----

4:16 (NKJ) Therefore I urge you, imitate me.

Lord, help me to be a person who can say, "Imitate my integrity, my passion for the Lord, my patience, my humility, and my sacrifice.

-----

4:21 (NLT) Which do you choose? Should I come with a rod to punish you, or should I come with love and a gentle spirit?

A pastor/leader sometimes must fulfil one of these two important roles.

-----

Don't forget to spend time in prayer... CHAT...

Pastor Noel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know i am behind you a bit - but I just wanted to say thanks, and that I often feel the same way - and hear things that cause such frustration - it is a good reminder that I'm not in charge, He is, and if other people, even other christians, take issue with me I sincerely hope it is because of that and not something where I have stood in the way. Thank you for doing this blog.