Saturday, August 23, 2008

1 Corinthians 11 -- Saturday, 8/23

Today, read 1 Corinthians 11 on your own at least one time. As you read, make notes in a notebook or in the margins of your Bible. Record all of the insights God gives you. Don't read my remarks until you have first done this yourself.

If you don't know what the colors or the format mean, read the three introductions to this blog. They are linked on the left hand side of this page.

Here are the insights I wrote down along with the verses they go with...

-----

11:10 (NLT) For this reason, and because the angels are watching, a woman should wear a covering on her head to show she is under authority.

God has set up certain levels of authority and submission in all of our lives. It should be evident that we are in submission to the authorities He has placed over us.

-----

11:17-18 (NLT) But in the following instructions, I cannot praise you. For it sounds as if more harm than good is done when you meet together. 18 First, I hear that there are divisions among you when you meet as a church, and to some extent I believe it.

It is imperative that we guard against divisions in the church.

Lord, may I always have the humility to be able to sit down with those I disagree with and try to work things out instead of just talking to others and making things worse.

-----

11:23-26 (NLT) For I pass on to you what I received from the Lord himself. On the night when he was betrayed, the Lord Jesus took some bread 24 and gave thanks to God for it. Then he broke it in pieces and said, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this to remember me.” 25 In the same way, he took the cup of wine after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant between God and his people—an agreement confirmed with my blood. Do this to remember me as often as you drink it.” 26 For every time you eat this bread and drink this cup, you are announcing the Lord’s death until he comes again.

Thank you Lord for the sacrifice of your body and the shedding of your blood. Thank you that you let me participate in this very special remembrance called the Lord's Supper.

-----

11:28 (NKJ) But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup.

Lord, help me to always very seriously examine myself prior to taking the Lord's Supper. I know I should also lead my family to do this in my home before we go to the Lord's Supper service.

-----

Don't forget to spend time in prayer... CHAT...

Pastor Noel

No comments: