Friday, August 22, 2008

1 Corinthians 10 -- Friday, 8/22

Have you first read all three parts of the introduction to this blog?

Here is a guide to the meaning of the colors I use...
  • Black -- General insights the Lord shows me as I read.
  • Blue -- Specific things I need to do.
  • Red -- Things I need to be thankful for.
  • Green -- Prayers I need to pray.
Let's get started...

Today, read 1 Corinthians 10 on your own at least one time. As you read, make notes in a notebook or in the margins of your Bible. Record all of the insights God gives you. Don't read my remarks until you have first done this yourself.

Here are the insights I wrote down along with the verses they go with...

-----

10:6-11 (NKJ) Now these things became our examples, to the intent that we should not lust after evil things as they also lusted. 7 And do not become idolaters as were some of them. As it is written, “The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.” 8 Nor let us commit sexual immorality, as some of them did, and in one day twenty-three thousand fell; 9 nor let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed by serpents; 10 nor complain, as some of them also complained, and were destroyed by the destroyer. 11 Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.

Lord, please help me to learn right and wrong and the urgency of obedience and submission through these Bible examples so that I don't have to learn them through personal hardship and discipline from you.

-----

10:6-8 (NLT) These things happened as a warning to us, so that we would not crave evil things as they did, 7 or worship idols as some of them did. As the Scriptures say, “The people celebrated with feasting and drinking, and they indulged in pagan revelry.” 8 And we must not engage in sexual immorality as some of them did, causing 23,000 of them to die in one day.

10:9-11 (NLT) Nor should we put Christ to the test, as some of them did and then died from snakebites. 10 And don’t grumble as some of them did, and then were destroyed by the angel of death. 11 These things happened to them as examples for us. They were written down to warn us who live at the end of the age.

Notice these four categories of sin that God takes very seriously... Idolatry, Sexual Immorality, Testing Christ, Complaining.
-----

10:12 (NKJ) Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.

I must remember that I can fall into terrible sin as easily as anyone. I must be diligent to keep up my guard.

-----

10:13 (NLT) The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.

Thank you Lord that you are so faithful to always be ready and able to keep me from temptation. Please help me to lean on you more for your help in this area of my life.

-----

10:21 (NKJ) You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons; you cannot partake of the Lord’s table and of the table of demons. 22 Or do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? Are we stronger than He?

Choose you this day whom you will serve.

-----

10:24 (NKJ) Let no one seek his own, but each one the other’s well-being.

Our focus must not be on blessing ourselves, but on blessing others.

-----

10:28-30 (NLT) (But suppose someone tells you, “This meat was offered to an idol.” Don’t eat it, out of consideration for the conscience of the one who told you. 29 It might not be a matter of conscience for you, but it is for the other person.) For why should my freedom be limited by what someone else thinks? 30 If I can thank God for the food and enjoy it, why should I be condemned for eating it?

My conduct should be limited not only by my own conscience, but also by the conscience of others.

-----

10:32-33 (NLT) Don’t give offense to Jews or Gentiles or the church of God. 33 I, too, try to please everyone in everything I do. I don’t just do what is best for me; I do what is best for others so that many may be saved.

Lord, I so earnestly pray that this will always be the attitude of the people in my church.

-----

Don't forget to spend time in prayer... CHAT...

Pastor Noel

No comments: