Thursday, August 21, 2008

1 Corinthians 9 -- Thursday, 8/21

Sorry for the lateness of today's devotion... I slept late.

Today, read 1 Corinthians 9 on your own at least one time. As you read, make notes in a notebook or in the margins of your Bible. Record all of the insights God gives you. Don't read my remarks until you have first done this yourself.

If you don't know what the colors or the format mean, read the three introductions to this blog. They are linked on the left hand side of this page.

Here are the insights I wrote down along with the verses they go with...

-----

9:12 (NLT) If you support others who preach to you, shouldn’t we have an even greater right to be supported? But we have never used this right. We would rather put up with anything than be an obstacle to the Good News about Christ.

It was important to Paul that none of his 'rights' hindered the gospel. More important than getting our own way is that the gospel be heard.

-----

9:16 (NLT) Yet preaching the Good News is not something I can boast about. I am compelled by God to do it. How terrible for me if I didn’t preach the Good News!

Lord, may I and everyone in my church have this same attitude.

-----

9:17 (NLT) If I were doing this on my own initiative, I would deserve payment. But I have no choice, for God has given me this sacred trust.

Thank you Lord that you have called me to serve you and to teach and preach the gospel.

-----

9:22 (NLT) When I am with those who are weak, I share their weakness, for I want to bring the weak to Christ. Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some.

Evangelism was not done by Paul when it was convenient. Paul inconvenienced himself all of the time in every way to win the lost.

-----

9:25-27 (NLT) All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.

I need to approach my walk with God as seriously as an athlete preparing for the Olympics.

-----

9:27 (NLT) I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.

I must remember that ministry is not just about helping others walk with Jesus. I must first make sure I am walking with Jesus in a deep abiding way.

-----

Don't forget to spend time in prayer... CHAT...

Pastor Noel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some.

Evangelism was not done by Paul when it was convenient. Paul inconvenienced himself all of the time in every way to win the lost."

Does this only apply to the lost? If it does apply to people who claim to be Christians does that mean I need to have more of the attitude that I need to go above and beyond and less of the attitude that people are responsible for themselves so if they don't come to church- that's on them? Seems like a dumb question, but I've heard that alot.