Friday, August 29, 2008

2 Corinthians 1:1-11 -- Friday, 8/29

OK. We are back on track this morning.

Before we look at this morning's devotion, let me give you a challenge. While I usually focus on only a chapter or two each morning in my Quiet Time, it is important to read larger chunks of the Bible as well. Yesterday I read 1 Samuel. I am going to try before this three day weekend is over to get from there through the end of 2 Chronicles. Ordinarily I don't read near this much in such short time, but I want to push myself this weekend. Up to the challenge? Try reading 1 Samuel on Saturday and 2 Samuel on Sunday. Read from an easy to read Bible like the NLT and you will really love doing this.

Let's get started...

I read less than a chapter today because these first verses gave me so much stuff to pray for. I try to be careful to slow down in Scripture when there is so much more to think and pray about.

So today, read 2 Corinthians 1:1-11 on your own at least one time. As you read, make notes in a notebook or in the margins of your Bible. Record all of the insights God gives you. Don't read my remarks until you have first done this yourself.

Here are the insights I wrote down along with the verses they go with...

-----

1:4 (NLT) He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.

Thank you Lord that in all difficulty I can turn to you and find comfort and peace.

-----

1:4 (NLT) He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.

Lord, I pray that you will make me more sensitive to those around me that I should seek to comfort.

-----

1:9 (NLT) In fact, we expected to die. But as a result, we stopped relying on ourselves and learned to rely only on God, who raises the dead.

When we face very hard times we must lean completely on God. At times like that we should look for ways that we are leaning upon ourselves and change those things so that we may lean entirely on Him.

-----

1:10 (NLT) And he did rescue us from mortal danger, and he will rescue us again. We have placed our confidence in him, and he will continue to rescue us.

Thank you Lord for the times you have rescued me or protected me in difficulty!

-----

1:11 (NLT) And you are helping us by praying for us. Then many people will give thanks because God has graciously answered so many prayers for our safety.

Prayer for others really works! I need to spend more time praying for others.

-----

Don't forget to spend time in prayer... CHAT...

Pastor Noel

No comments: