Friday, September 5, 2008

2 Corinthians 7 -- Friday, 9/5

Have you first read all three parts of the introduction to this blog?

Here is a guide to the meaning of the colors I use...
  • Black -- General insights the Lord shows me as I read.
  • Blue -- Specific things I need to do.
  • Red -- Things I need to be thankful for.
  • Green -- Prayers I need to pray.
Let's get started...

Today, read 2 Corinthians 7 on your own at least one time. As you read, make notes in a notebook or in the margins of your Bible. Record all of the insights God gives you. Don't read my remarks until you have first done this yourself.

Here are the insights I wrote down along with the verses they go with...

-----

7:1 (NLT) Because we have these promises, dear friends, let us cleanse ourselves from everything that can defile our body or spirit. And let us work toward complete holiness because we fear God.

This should be the goal and priority of every believer. We should never be satisfied as long as there is sin in our lives needing cleansing.

-----

7:6 (NLT) But God, who encourages those who are discouraged, encouraged us by the arrival of Titus.

Thank you Lord for sending encouragement to me when things are hard.

-----

7:8-9 (NLT) I am not sorry that I sent that severe letter to you, though I was sorry at first, for I know it was painful to you for a little while. 9 Now I am glad I sent it, not because it hurt you, but because the pain caused you to repent and change your ways. It was the kind of sorrow God wants his people to have, so you were not harmed by us in any way.

I should never be sorry for preaching the Word. I should never apologize for preaching the Word.

-----

7:8-9 (NKJ) For even if I made you sorry with my letter, I do not regret it; though I did regret it. For I perceive that the same epistle made you sorry, though only for a while. 9 Now I rejoice, not that you were made sorry, but that your sorrow led to repentance. For you were made sorry in a godly manner, that you might suffer loss from us in nothing.

Sometimes a preacher has to bring bad news and stern warnings. Sometimes it is just necessary.

-----

7:10 (NLT) For the kind of sorrow God wants us to experience leads us away from sin and results in salvation. There’s no regret for that kind of sorrow. But worldly sorrow, which lacks repentance, results in spiritual death.

You can distinguish between godly sorrow and worldly sorrow by the results. Godly sorrow always leads to a change (repentance).

-----

Don't forget to spend time in prayer... CHAT...

Pastor Noel

No comments: